Sunday

syra and myra (member feature)

they reflect everything that I was years ago. I was this barrio girl who was Dancer of the Year from a catholic school. if dancing had to be learned by other kids from costly sessions, all i had to do was feel the beat and groove. maybe, Lola was my first one-man audience. though my parents weren’t there to see me grace the stage, I dedicated every performance for them because down there in myyoung heart, they danced, head on shoulder.
when I was in High School, I saw them around mercado publico selling siopao, chicken roll, cheesecakes, baked by their mother. I thought that though we had to go through poverty, I never found my self having to do such, libud. Nanay always asked me to buy from them and told me the story of their home, their tiny dreams, fluttering.





Their Father and me became friends first. He would speak to me in English and challenge my discreet strategy, argumentum ad hominem. It was their father’s music that I came to know these girls more. On stage, they can do belly dance, break dance, folk dance, interpretative, dance sports and even all those game show dances. On stage, they are the most beautiful, the richest kids. On stage, they hold no sadness and fears. Chin is right. The real poor has pride and does not beg. They can capture hearts because, no debates, they dance like nobody’s watching, nobody’s going to criticize. Founding SINGGIT is something I won’t let anyone take away, not because of “ah-she-is-so-saintly” but because I am sharing the same circle with young individuals who know how to live well.

Myra and Syra are happy people. It’s known to many that they bear the scars under the roof of their home, but every conversation I have with them, talking about their Father and his choices proved me that there are still hearts that can forgive. That human beings can understand and can dream on when assassins kill tiny dreams cause by domestic warfare and the thieves of years.
“Lipay kami ya nang. Indi man importante ang kwarta para mapamaayo ang imo talento.”

Well, yes, it is an advantage to be talented and rich all at the same time, but hearing the girls make me fold my own years of journey and smile.

For like them, like me and other born dancers, all you need to do is just dance. yes, dance.
and the world will stop, one moment, and watch you.


*
more singgit members features in the coming days ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment